Thursday, October 09, 2008

Nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh THE BAT?


As I recall in 1975, I brought my mother my Mego Batman doll, a needle and some thread and asked her to make me the exact outfit for Halloween. My mom, prudent at darning socks and replacing buttons was not exactly a dress maker, so she did the next thing and took me to Woolco.

Of course, one we got there, there was no Batman to be found and I ended up settling for a Collegeville "THE BAT" costume, one of the biggest rip offs I've ever seen.

the dark knockoff
I must admit though, I was completely overjoyed with this ensemble and wore it until it fell apart.
The memory was so happy that my mother and I would make the exact same mistake the following year and revisit Woolco looking for my next superheroic obsession. More on that later.

PS that wallpaper in the top picture? It was fuzzy like a G.I. Joe's beard....


3 comments:

Bubbashelby said...

That is hilarious and awesome at the same time.

Ironically, one of those "The Bat" costumes would probably fetch big bucks today.

chunky B said...

Made me think of that line in the beginning of the 89' Batman movie... "Wha, the Bat?, gimmie a break"

Fuzzy wallpaper, is there nothing better for your walls than the soft, velvet feel of a GI Joe beard?

Reis O'Brien said...

I don't care if it's a knock off. That costume rules!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin