Wednesday, April 30, 2008

New Rack Toys From Azrak Hamway

Some nice new additions to our Gallery of Rack Toys today, the concentration being on Azarak Hamway or AHI (which I find surprising how many folks call it "Ahheee"). Above is an amazing dual branded package for Star Trek/Space:1999 Jet Disks. You wouldn't see stuff like this today. This is courtesy of Will Frost.

Also by AHI is this too cool Creature from the Black Lagoon doll from their super monsters series, more pics from this line in the future. These 8" Mego-esque characters are fully licensed Universal Monsters product. After playing with Charlie's for these photos, I totally want one, anybody selling?

Always looking for Rack Toy Submissions, drop us an email if you have a photo to share.

Brick gives this page a thumbs up!

Mego Knock Offs: The Azrak Hamway Creature is one of the better known Mego knockoffs of the 70's but there are two fun pages that go into even more detail on this subject. Firstly, the Megomuseum has a page called Mego-Esque which chronicles some of the more prolific knock offs such as Martian Chronicles, Lincoln and AHI monsters etc. 

As a bonus, cruise on over to Topless Robot to read a piece I wrote entitle the Top 5 Best and Worst Comics Blantantly Designed to Sell Toys. I pulled all the stops here, possibly the most fart and groin jokes I've written all week.

7 comments:

rob! said...

i love any and all Creature toys. i must have this...one day....

Anonymous said...

I've been trying to get my mitts on a jet disc gun for ages....

Anonymous said...

Another good Topless Robot article. The Chuck Norris comic looks hysterical, wish I had one. Reminds me of when I was younger, my friend's younger sister bought Archie comics, and we'd make fun of them b/c at the time each issue had a running feature starring Glenn Scarpelli, the squeaky voiced annoying kid from "One Day At A Time". I guess he was big with the Tiger Beat set, b/c each story had him doing something amazing and the girls all fawning over him. The humor of this was punctuated further when I recently saw him on a VH1 "Where Are They Now" show, telling the world he was now living openly as a gay man.

As for The Micronauts, I loved that series, but think it deserved to be one below Rom if only for the fact that the original story arc was so blatantly inpired by Star Wars, i.e. Karza=Vadar, Enigma Force=The Force, two robot sidekicks, group of rebels vs evil empire, Marionette=Leia, etc . . .
But then again, I'd take Michael Golden art over Sal Buscema any day, so maybe I'm wrong!

Plaidstallions said...

Glen Scarpelli's dad drew Archie comics, so it was a total inside job. I haven't seen that guy since "Jennifer Slept Here"

Anonymous said...

Looks like Dad was in denial.

Thanks for the bit of info, never knew that.

Jon K said...

Hey, loved the AHI stuff! I've been saving photos of all kinds of stuff offered on eBay for posting in my own blog, "Random Acts of Geekery," but you'd probably want to go check out my Flickr files... my AHI pix are at http://flickr.com/photos/jonknutson/sets/72157602437370840/ -- 166 photos of AHI goodness!

But that's only about 1/100th of my Flickr files... check out my "Found on eBay" posts on the blog for more of that kind of stuff! You'll also notice a link for Plaid Stallions on the blog, too!

Jon

Swinebread said...

I read that 5 best and worst... great stuff!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin